Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Project Kids Book Update 4


     Rough draft number 5 is hot off the press and I'm pretty pumped about it. Up until this fifth revision, I was working with a messy, bulky, uneven blob and revising was about as effective as fitting a couch cover over a leaking toilet; it's a small improvement, but it still reeks like shit. I'd move things around and work on the phrasing of certain things, but the story was still far from finished.
      That being said, I decided to draft from scratch. Instead of mercilessly ripping my draft to shreds with my stubby red colored pencil, then trying to figure out what the hell I was talking about later when I'm translating my blood red scratches into the typed copy, I simply started from scratch. I keyed in each scene on a bran-spankin-new document screen and only used rough draft number 4 as a reference if I really reallllly needed it. It took about 3 hours longer than I would've liked, but you know what? I think it did the trick, because on my desk lies the stapled embodiment of a draft that I'm not totally embarrassed about. Now I just gotta do at least one more focus group sesh with the kids from work before I can even think about the illustrations.

P.S.
All the characters have names and I've even sketched out most of them, I'll post a picture when I'm not so sleep deprived. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment