Monday, June 4, 2012

Project Kids Book Update 1

Storyboard 
Add caption
     Since my last post, I've punched out one hell of a rusty rough draft. I've gotten the bulk of the story drawn out, now comes the time for me to trim it up till it looks nice and dapper. Not having a name for my shining star had been annoying me, but today I think I may have stumbled upon a winner. To come up with a name that would fit the personality of my robotic main character, I did what I always do when I have a problem, I asked the internet. Fortunately, the all mighty Google answered my prayer and I found myself on a website called the Internet Anagram Server (which cleverly anagrams to "I rearrangement servant"). I spent some time searching possible anagramable names from words and phrases like "robot" and "talented bot", but it wasn't until I searched the results for "Scared Robot" that I received my gem. "Scooter B. Rad" is the name that caught my eye. I like it, it's simple and it's fun, and I think it's got potential for my scared little robot. So say hello to Scooter, the newly named robot.
     Oh and one more thing. I took my really rough draft into work today for a little focus group time with the kids. I read them the parts of the story that I had typed up, and I made up the parts that I didn't, and I showed them the concept sketch of Scooter to see if they were feeling what I was selling. Both the beauty, and the downside of pitching a story to a group of first graders, is that their criticism is nonexistent. It was great to hear that they liked the idea and the drawings, but I didn't get much feedback as far as the mechanics of the book (and yeah, I realize how dumb that sounds). But I would like to polish up the draft a bit and go reread it to some of the little ones to make sure that all the words are first-grade-friendly.
     So from here, it's just a bunch of drafting (which is surprising, considering how short the book is) and a lot of illustrating. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment